domingo, 13 de abril de 2014

The departure

FRANÇAIS - ESPAÑOL -

Well... What can I say, I took the road on Wednesday,  with fears, uncertainties, without knowing what was waiting for me.... and I got to say that there was only good surprises one behind the other...


The beginning hasn't been very encouraging, I got to admit: the weight of the equipment was harder to move that I estimated, the length of the "convoy" made it very hard to drive it into the traffic, and the small trailer wheel span made the kayak flip over tree times that day... truly, I doubted of my idea for a moment. Since the start it had been a problem to get out of the garage where I kept the kayak the night before, it took me a long waiting time and many insults... People who lives in big cities is usually rushed and have no tolerance for waiting... although they don't really know why they are so hurry...

Then, the first stop... in a gas station, because while I was riding, I notice that the trailer wheels where low pressured, wich was making it harder for me to pull the "convoy"... Since my arrival already I felt curious eyes looking at me, like those on my way, where even bus drivers slowed down by mi side to ask me where I was going, and car drivers who opened their windows to take pictures of me and shout encouraging words... I don't know, but those details makes one's heart get full of joy, and feel the desire of keep riding.

The thing is I already was at the gas station, arguing with the air machine (that is designed for car wheels, not for kayak's trailer wheels, so I was afraid of a premature tire burst) 
 Here happened my first good surprise: three men taking a coffe at the station shop called me through the window to chat with me; they wanted to know where I was coming from, where I was going, details of my "convoy", details of my trip, times, etc. After a few minutes chatting, I went to the air machine to inflate the tires, and while I was busy with that, one of the men came to me, gave me a 100AR$ bill and said "take this dude, you gonna need it"... I can't explain the moment's feeling, a mix between hugging him and cry, and the only thing I could articulate was " I thank you from the heart, it means a lot for me!"...
Well, after this, arround noon I finally get out of Buenos Aires, less trail remaining... I stopped in a fast food place in Ciudadela and ask for a "choripan" with salsa criolla... At that moment I was planning to don't come back to Buenos Aires in a long time, and I felt I couldn't left this city behind without eating a genuine "choripan". Leaving this place I realized my first mechanical issue... trailer's welding where failing, because of this, the kayak was heeling over while I was riding, overturning each time easier...I suffered this problem for some kilometers, until I get to the Posadas Hospital, where I couldn't keep riding because of this... I felt really bad... thinking that my trip would be over even before getting out Buenos Aires's suburbs... In this precise moment, Juan appears, a grat person that helped me out with my problem, but ride for many kilometers on his bike with me too until close to Parque Leloir. When I get here I found a bike shop, where I was planning to buy a bike easel, since the instability of the bike due to the saddlebag's weight makes impossible to pose it anywhere... And even if they didn't have an easel that could resolve my problem, 
they helped me out to improvise a solution, give me hot water, and take a round of mates with me!! Here was where I knew Joaquin and his friend, two big biking enthusiasts that were by coincidence at the shop and shared with me a nice chat, local information and many mates. But the time was going by, the front wind was constant during the whole day and retarded a lot my trip,so if I was pretending to get somewhere with the daylight, I better keep riding...

A few kilometers after leaving Joaquin behind, the destiny put Eduardo on my way, another sportive and thanksgiving soul... who I shared some talk with and he shared water and food to me too!; It was a short meeting, there were a few kilometers still to get out the suburbs, and a few hours to this Wednesday... But that didn't stop Eduardo to ride with me until General Rodriquez, blocking the traffic with his bike in several opportunities to make my street crossing easier... As Juan told me, Eduardo aware me that I would be force to get into the highway, so, a few kilometers after leaving Eduardo, I didn't have option but to ride 15 kilometers (10 mi)  between Buenos Aires and Lujan through the West Access Highway...

What can I say about this... It has been by far my worst experience on a bike, and I hope to never have to do it again... but it allowed me to arrive to Lujan, where I got to stop because the day was over... I spent the night in a gas station, on the way out from Lujan to Mercedes; here I found this character:


To be honest, I can't remember his name, it was very late, I was very tired, and my camp wasn't set, but I do remember he was very kind and helpful, he offered me many things, like hosting and food, unfortunately I had all that resolved... We shared a long chat about trips, motorcycles and bikes,.. and then, having mounted my tent and swearing the amazingly bad phone reception that avoided me to talk with my girl, I finished the day getting deeply asleep...

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario